Tuesday, April 26, 2016

DIY almond milk creamer

Dairy and I don't have the best relationship- I can eat a little bit, but too much and I have an upset stomach and heartburn. So for my coffee, I prefer nut based creamers. However most of these come it tetra packs (read about why these aren't a great option here) and contain ingredients I cannot pronounce. So I set out to make my own. I really enjoy almond milk as almonds are very affordable and the taste is neutral, so it can be used in many different recipes. But putting straight almond milk into my coffee was kind of gross- it just wasn't creamy enough. So I adjusted the water to almond ratio, added some delicious things, and it was perfect!!!

You will need:
- 1 cup almonds, soaked overnight and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 bowl
- cheesecloth/thin dishcloth
- container for storing
- optional flavorings: cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup (bought in bulk)


Add the almonds and water to a blender and blend until smooth.



 Place the cheesecloth or thin dishcloth in he bowl, and pour the mixture over it. Gather up the sides and squeeze all of the creamer out of the almond scraps. This takes a bit of muscle- the creamer is thick!



 Add your flavorings (I used 1/4 tsp cinnamon, a few grates of nutmeg, and 1 tsp maple syrup), and voila! Delicious, waste free creamer! Taste your creamer and adjust flavorings as needed. I could honestly drink this stuff straight it is so good. I have also left this plain and used it as a substitute for cream in several recipes, and it worked like a charm. 



 Now go enjoy your delicious coffee! 





And don't forget to save those almond scraps- put them in a jar and pop them in the freezer. Once the jar is full, you can make almond flour (tutorial coming once my own jar is nice and full!!). 




No comments:

Post a Comment