Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Waste free veggie broth

Over the past few months I have been obsessively trying to cut our grocery bill down. Something I found myself buying sometimes was veggie broth. Sealed in tetra packs, this is not a sustainable option. Often your city will not have a facility that recycles these, so they end up in landfills. And if they can be recycled, this takes a great amount of energy. After a lot of pinterest searches, I finally found the bet options for me- veggie scrap broth! Not only is it using up scraps to their full potential before I chuck them in my compost bin, it also tastes great and takes pretty much zero effort to make.



While I am cooking, I set aside my veggie scraps in a large mason jar in my freezer. If it sounds like it would make a good broth, go for it! Things like carrot peelings/ends, asparagus ends, broccoli stems, onion peels/ends, garlic skins, leek stalks, kale/chard stems all make great broth. I tend to not put bell pepper in mine as it made it bitter once and I was sad :( but people say this about broccoli and asparagus and i have never had an issue, so I think it comes down to personal preference.






Once the jar is full, I toss the scraps into my slow cooker, add a tbsp of salt, cover it in water, and cook on low for 8 hours. I then let it cool and squeeze all of the broth out of the veggie scraps before adding them to my compost. I store it in jars in the fridge, or put it in straight pint mason jars in the freezer. These can easily be pulled out and defrosted when needed. If I run out and need some ASAP I will put everything into a pasta pot and get it boiling on the stove, and then simmer for a few hours.









So there you have it- free and zero waste veggie broth! This has saved us soooo much money and waste, plus it gives me peace of mind knowing exactly what my veggie broth contains.

No comments:

Post a Comment